Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Froyo ver 2.2 build FRF72

Froyo ver 2.2 build FRF72 which was supposedly be the final build of the earlier FRF50 was leaked on/about 19 Jun. By 22 Jun, we have seen roms rebuilt based on this leak. I have tested out the earlier build FRF50 but uninstalled it a day later as there were too many bugs - some apps were not compatible, installation to the SD card was not perfect, some apps in marketplace not detected, widgets and programs installed on card do not load up after reboot etc.

Today I tested out 2 versions of this Froyo FRF72 on my Nexus :
1. Paul's Modaco Release R18 ( with apps2SD ) baked from his online kitchen
2. Rodriguez ver 2.5 based on Modaco R18

Both roms perform very well ; so far no major issues.  All the problems I face in build FRF50 did not arise. The bootup time has increased tremendously , I estimate improvement  by at least 5 times faster. Browsing too was great - most webpages loadup fully within 3-4 secs , it is at least 2-3 times faster than ver 2.1.
Most impressive I found ,  the newer rom is very lean. After installation of  my usual round of programs ( some on the SD card ) - I see free internal storage of 160-165 MB compared to 67-70 MB previously. This is a whopping increase of 60+ MB .

I watched Driven NTV8 Episode 11 on my Nexus :  The video loads within 1 second and was smooth, a good testimony to the performance of Adobe latest Flash 10.1.  On my iPAD I just see a black screen as Apple do not support Adobe Flash !!!

These features do indeed justified Google's claims that ver 2.2 gives  a dramatic and exceptional performance increase which was announced at the May 21 Google I/O Conference.

However I just seen an update that FRF72 is still not the official version. Quote :
Ry Guy
Google Employee
07:03 PM
Hey guys,
Just dropping in to let you know that the FRF72 build that is floating around is not the official update. The Android team is feverishly working to get a final version out the door, but like passion-ate has mentioned this will only happen once a release candidate meets our quality criteria.
Since today is the Summer Solstice, we know things will be heating up a bit so hopefully Froyo will be on its way shortly. Thanks for your continued patience!
-Ry Guy


Anyway I'll keep this build FRF72 on my Nexus until the official release. It is indeed a vast improvement of leaps and bounds over ver 2.1

No comments:

Post a Comment