Tuesday, May 18, 2010
HTC EVO 4G from Sprint
The HTC EVO is the world’s first 3G/4G/WiMAX CDMA Android 2.1 handset, available exclusively from Sprint USA. Unfortunately this model will not be available in Malaysia/Singapore unless HTC release a equivalent GSM/3G/WiFi version. I'd say to date this is the Super Smartphone unrivalled by any.
Excerpts from HTC news release : http://www.htc.com/us/press/worlds-first-3g4g-android-phone-htc-evo-4g-coming-this-summer-exclusively-from-sprint/12
HTC EVO 4G comes with a 1GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor ensuring a smooth and quick user experience. With dual cameras – an 8.0 megapixel auto-focus camera with HD-capable video camcorder and a forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera – HTC EVO 4G unleashes the ability to create, stream and watch video that far surpasses expectations.
With built-in mobile hotspot functionality, HTC EVO 4G allows up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 4G experience. Users can easily share an Internet connection on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.
With integrated HD video capture and 4G speeds, HTC EVO 4G makes slow uploads and grainy video a thing of the past. Now, it is possible to post high-quality video to YouTube™ or Facebook, or share moments in real time over the Internet live, via Qik. After these videos have been captured, it is easy to share them on an HDTV via an HDMI cable (sold separately).
The custom Web browser is optimized for HTC EVO 4G's large display and Sprint 4G speeds to deliver a full, no-compromise Internet experience. Adobe Flash technology ensures that rich Internet content, such as embedded video and animation, are displayed the way they are meant to be seen. Pinch-to-zoom and automatic text reflowing provide easy Web page views.
HTC EVO 4G features the newest version of the highly acclaimed HTC Sense user experience. Along with all of the HTC Sense features first introduced on HTC Hero, HTC EVO 4G adds a number of new features, including Friend Stream, which aggregates multiple social communication channels including Facebook and Twitter™ into one organized flow of updates; a "Leap" thumbnail view to easily switch between home screen "panels"; the ability to download new, interactive widgets; and a "polite" ringer, which quiets the ringing phone once lifted up.
"HTC and Sprint have a strong history of working together to bring consumers technologies and advancements that make their lives easier," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC. "We believe that the HTC EVO 4G represents the best of Sprint and the best of HTC working together to bring an unmatched device to the U.S. This combination of HTC and Sprint innovation will allow people to do even more while on the go, faster than ever on the Sprint 4G network."
• Dimensions: 4.8" x 2.6" x .5" (LxWxT)
• Weight: 6 ounces
• Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800x480) 65K colors
• Battery life: 6 hours of talk time. Time may vary depending on 3G/4G coverage and usage.
• Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
• Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM
• 3G/4G capability
• Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
• 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
• Simultaneous voice and data capability in 4G and Wi-Fi coverage areas, enabling Web surfing and more while talking
• GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
• Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
• Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
• Visual voicemail
• Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
• 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
• 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
• High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
• Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
• FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
• Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
• Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
• Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
• Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
More details at : http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/12276-htc-evo-fact-sheet.html
May 13 : Sprint CEO Dan Hesse announced that the HTC Evo 4G will be available on June 4 for $199.99 with a two-year contract and after a $100 mail-in rebate. The Android device will also be sold through national retailers, including Best Buy, Radio Shack, and Wal-Mart Stores.
Full video of the HTC Evo launch in New York:
First Impressions by Rob Jackson:
His summary :
1. The EVO is FAST
2. The EVO is HUGE
3. The EVO is CHEAP
4. The EVO is AWESOME
Engadget had tested the Evo and commented : We just saw demos of Qik video conferencing, YouTube HQ (output brilliantly over HDMI), simultaneous data and voice usage, and even a straight-up speed test (4Mbps down, 1Mbps up, the latter of which is a hard cap). The phone performed brilliantly in each scenario, but of course that's to be expected when you have a 4G tower in the building. Check out the videos at this link :
Some web reviews :
HTC Evo vs Google NexusOne :
HTC Evo vs iPhone 4G :
HTC Evo vs HTC HD2 :